Talks in Mali aimed at resolving the political situation in the aftermath of last week’s coup have ended without agreement.
The mediation team – led by Nigeria’s former President Goodluck Jonathan – will now report to regional heads of state on the progress made.
The talks began with a brief session on Saturday and then continued through both Sunday and Monday.
At the end of Sunday’s session Mr Jonathan said: “We have reached a number of agreements but we have not reached agreement on all the issues.”
West African leaders have said that the deposed President, Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta, should be reinstated but envoys from regional body Ecowas failed to convince Mali’s military leaders that this was the way forward.
Military spokesman Col Ismael Wague is quoted by the Reuters news agency as saying after the talks ended that the final decision on any interim administration would be made by Malians.
“Nothing has been decided. Everyone has given their point of view,” Wague told reporters. “The final decision of the structure of the transition will be made by us Malians here.”
Four sources, who have direct contact with people involved in talks, had said earlier that Keita would not be involved in any transition.
Two sources said a year-long transition, similar to the one in Niger following a 2010 coup, was on the table. Another source said the junta was eager to prioritise reforms over elections so it could be longer.
Wague earlier denied reports by French radio RFI that the CNSP wanted a three-year transitional government led by a soldier and mostly made up of the military.
An African diplomat monitoring the talks said that ECOWAS was keen to push for a “short transition” with a focus on holding the elections and allowing an elected civilian administration to handle the reforms afterwards.