NEARLY 300 ABDUCTED NIGERIAN GIRLS FREED, LOCAL OFFICIAL SAYS
 Gusau, Nigeria — Hundreds of Nigerian schoolgirls abducted last week from a boarding school in the northwestern Zamfara state have been released, the state’s governor said Tuesday. Zamfara state governor Bello Matawalle announced that 279 girls were freed.
Gunmen abducted the girls from the Government Girls Junior Secondary School in Jangebe town on Friday, in the latest in a series of mass kidnappings of students in the West African nation.
NEARLY 300 ABDUCTED NIGERIAN GIRLS FREED, LOCAL OFFICIAL SAYS
An Associated Press reporter saw hundreds of girls dressed in light blue hijabs and barefoot sitting at the state Government House office in Gusau.
After the meeting, the girls were escorted outside by officials and taken away in vans. They appeared calm and ranged in ages from 10 and up.
NEARLY 300 ABDUCTED NIGERIAN GIRLS FREED, LOCAL OFFICIAL SAYS
“Alhamdulillah! (God be praised!) It gladdens my heart to announce the release of the abducted students of GGSS Jangebe from captivity. This follows the scaling of several hurdles laid against our efforts. I enjoin all well-meaning Nigerians to rejoice with us as our daughters are now safe,” Matawalle said in a post on Twitter early Tuesday.
NEARLY 300 ABDUCTED NIGERIAN GIRLS FREED, LOCAL OFFICIAL SAYS
At the time of the attack, one resident told AP that the gunmen also attacked a nearby military camp and checkpoint, preventing soldiers from responding to the mass abduction at the school